Making buttermilk biscuits from scratch is something I have never done however recently I made it my mission to find the perfect recipe and learn how to make them. I think I found a winner.
Over the holidays I decided to try out this recipe for Christmas breakfast. I have a close friend who grew up in the South and she knows her biscuits. After a taste test she said I nailed the flavor however the consistency was too dense. So after a few YouTube videos I found a key step in the process to help create more layers in the dough.
Today we decided for round two of this recipe. After a second taste test, she said they taste like they were made below the Mason-Dixon line. Music to my ears! The secret to creating the best batter is for all the ingredients, bowls and tools to be as cold as possible.
While this isn’t the most healthy breakfast menu item it sure is a crowd pleaser and will leave you wanting more.
2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour (White Lily Brand)
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar plus extra for dusting
8 Tablespoon Frozen Butter
1 Cup Buttermilk
- Place cheese grater and 2 medium size bowls in the freezer with stick of butter for at least an hour.
- Remove bowl from freezer and combine all dry ingredients, set aside.
- Remove cheese grater and second bowl from the freezer, grate the frozen butter and place in bowl, combine with dry ingredients and place mixture in freezer overnight.
- When ready to to make biscuits combine the buttermilk with dry ingredients.
- When dough is well combined roll onto a floured surface into a rectangle. Fold the dough into a trifold and flatten. Do this step 3-4 times. This is what helps create the layers into the biscuits.
- Form a rectangle with the dough roughly an inch thick. Use a floured pizza cutter or sharp knife and cut into 8 biscuits.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with egg wash and lightly dust the top of the biscuits with sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
1 pound pork sausage
2 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon(s)s all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups half and half
1 Tablespoon butter
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Brown sausage in a large saucepan. Use a paper towel to blot out most of the grease from the pan.
- Add flour, butter, and half & half. Cook on medium-low, stirring often, for several minutes until thickened.
- Add thyme, rosemary, red pepper flakes and black pepper.
- Serve over warm biscuits.