There are a lot of things to love about this Italian Roast Beef recipe. The flavor, the simplicity and most importantly the little time it takes to prepare. I love recipes that involve little to no effort and this one hit the mark. I found it on Barefoot in the Kitchen. After letting the slow cooker do all the heavy lifting after 10 hours it tasted amazing.How do I make Slow Cooker Roast Beef?
- 2.5 pounds beef round roast, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 small yellow onion sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine (Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet or any red blend)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Place the pieces of roast in the bottom of a crockpot or dutch oven. Sprinkle the spices all over the roast, turning to coat thoroughly.
- Top the roast with the onions and pour the wine and water into the bottom of the pot.
- Cook on low in crockpot for 8-10 hours or until the meat is falling apart.
- When the meat is done cooking, shred gently and then toss in the juices to keep it moist.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
To ensure there are enough juices to cover the meat completely, I will tweaked the recipe slightly and cut the Roast beef into smaller (1″) chunks vs placing the entire post beef into the slow cooker.Mashed Potatoes on the fly
Making mashed potatoes from scratch can take a lot of time so I purchase pre-made mashed potatoes at my local grocery store and this helps save time. I always know John loves a dish when he goes in for seconds. I’ll be making the Italian Roast Beef in the near future for sure!